Dr Pippa Hugo MBChB, MRCPsych CCST trained in medicine at the University of Cape Town, South Africa and worked in Paediatrics, obtaining a Diploma in Child Health, prior to coming to London to train in Psychiatry. She was a psychiatric trainee and clinical lecturer in eating disorders under Prof Hubert Lacey at St George’s Hospital Medical School, University of London and also worked with Prof Bryan Lask in Child and Adolescent Eating Disorders. She is on the specialist register of The General Medical Council with accreditation in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
Pippa’s first consultant role was in the NHS, as a Consultant Adolescent Psychiatrist for South West London and St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust for 14 years. Here she developed the national inpatient unit for adolescents with complex eating problems. In 2015, Pippa was appointed as Clinical Director for Eating Disorders for the Priory Group and clinical lead for the adolescent unit at Roehampton Priory where she continues to treat inpatients with eating disorders.
Throughout her career, Pippa has been heavily involved in teaching and supervision of nursing, psychology and medical students, and psychiatric trainees. She has engaged in research in eating disorders and presented at both international and national settings including to regularly to GPs and schools.
Nationally, Pippa has sat on various committees setting standards and planning models of care for adolescents with eating disorders in the UK. These have included:
- Member of the NICE Guideline Development Group on Eating Disorders 2004
- Vice-Chair on the Eating Disorder Faculty Committee for The Royal College Psychiatrists 2011-2015
- Member of the founding group setting national quality standards for Eating Disorder Services (QED)
- The Royal College Psychiatrists representative on the clinical commissioning reference group for Eating Disorders
- Member of the Children & Young People Mental Health Strategic Leadership Group for London
Areas of Expertise
- Eating disorders in children and adolescents including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, ARFID
- Child and adolescent mental health
- Family based treatments
May 19, 2019 - Video
Fighting Child Starvation - Giving Eating Disorders Nowhere to Hide Within the Family Unit
Dr Pippa Hugo presenting at iCAAD London 2019. Eating disorders are serious illnesses in young people, with profound consequences for physical,...